Explore Laos with Northern Travel Laos
Vat Phou Festival 2020 (6 Feb-8 February 2020)
The Vat Phou Festival takes place every year, on the 15th day of the increasing moon of the 3rd month (in January-February) and coincides with the Makha Bouxa, Buddhist Festival.
Ever since Buddhism recognized Vat Phou as a site of huge religious and cultural importance, local authorities, together with several other organisations and local people, have organized Boun Vat Phou (Vat Phou Festival) on 15th day of the 3rd month of Lao lunar calendar. Sound and light shows are provided on the site.
Designed to commemorate all those who have contributed to this wonder of ancient architecture. Based on traditional Buddhist practices, the festival is held for three days and three nights. It hosts displays of traditional music, dance, sports and a variety of local produce. Most importantly of all, on the final day, pilgrims such as; senior dignitaries and religious figures from across the country, come to take part in a traditional Tak Bat (alms ceremony), some of them even come from neighboring countries; it is also the opportunity for surrounding plain and mountain populations to meet each other, maintaining these relations since time put off.
The festival also includes a parade of elephant or horses, a crafts fair and demonstrations of ancient traditions Processions, recitals, and chants take place during the three days festival.
- We really enjoyed our time in Laos, thanks in part to your wonderful guides, expert drivers and your very professional organising of our tour. We will highly recommend your company to all our travelling friends back in "Oz.
John & Kay Claringbold
- Thank you for a fantastic holiday in Cambodia. Our guide, Mr Rith, was one of the best guides we have ever had and helped to make our holiday very special. Thank you again for all of your efforts and for the excellent holiday tour you put together for us.
Will & Lin Wilson
- We enjoyed very much our trip in Laos and we left with the most colorful memories about your country. We were impressed by the professionalism of your travel agency and we will strongly recommend you to everybody here in Greece.
- The whole trip was excellent. We saw everything that we wanted to see and more. The knowledge of our guide, Mr Phet, was outstanding. We would definitely recommend you to our friends.
Ms Robyn Johnson Elizabeth
- Thanks again for the excellent organisation of our trip. Everything was just the way we wanted it. I have already told my friends about you and if they plan a trip to Laos they will definitely contact you.