Explore Laos with Northern Travel Laos
That Luang festival 2019 (9-11 November 2019 )
The That Luang Festival (Boun That Luang) occurs for three consecutive days, beginning on the full moon of the twelfth month of the Buddhist Calendar. This will generally put the festival sometime in November on the Gregorian Calendar.
The That Luang stupa was originally a Hindu temple, built in the First Century A.D. By Third Century A.D. it became a Buddhist temple. It had to be rebuilt several times throughout its long history, and the modern building was built in 1566.
Inside the That Luang is believed to be certain relics of Buddha. The temple is covered in gold and sits in the middle of Vientiane, the capital city of Laos.
During That Luang Festival, Buddhist monks gather at the stupa for religious ceremonies. They make offerings, offer incense, circle the stupa thrice, and do other religious rituals meant to earn merit. There are also musical and dramatic presentations at the festival, and both people and monks participate.
- We really enjoyed our time in Laos, thanks in part to your wonderful guides, expert drivers and your very professional organising of our tour. We will highly recommend your company to all our travelling friends back in "Oz.
John & Kay Claringbold
- Thank you for a fantastic holiday in Cambodia. Our guide, Mr Rith, was one of the best guides we have ever had and helped to make our holiday very special. Thank you again for all of your efforts and for the excellent holiday tour you put together for us.
Will & Lin Wilson
- We enjoyed very much our trip in Laos and we left with the most colorful memories about your country. We were impressed by the professionalism of your travel agency and we will strongly recommend you to everybody here in Greece.
- The whole trip was excellent. We saw everything that we wanted to see and more. The knowledge of our guide, Mr Phet, was outstanding. We would definitely recommend you to our friends.
Ms Robyn Johnson Elizabeth
- Thanks again for the excellent organisation of our trip. Everything was just the way we wanted it. I have already told my friends about you and if they plan a trip to Laos they will definitely contact you.